Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

sara007
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 11 January 2015 :  17:55:44  Show Profile
Hello all,

I entered into debt several years ago after my parents passed away and things just got unmanagable. I have approx 10 debtors starting from ?300-?2000 totaling at the time ?10k. Some of my debtors include wonga, quidco (what killed me), hbos, littlewoods, O2 etc...I was and am still in full time employment (?20k salary)

I was so low and told no one and decided to call a company to seek help and before I knew it they were at my house quizzing me about income etc and I was on a trust deed! In the heat of the moment you are so vulnerable!I was one year into the trust deed and got a letter telling me my car was being repossessed so called them as I knew I was not behind. Indeed I was not, but I had entered a trust deed therefore breached my agreement with the car finance company. They told me they had been trying to contact my trust deed company to advise me of this but they had email chains from the trust deed company stating to hold etc whilst they investigated etc... I had not been made aware at all.

In any case I had to exit the trust deed as needed my car for work and they even reimbursed me all the money I had paid in for that year. Something very rare in the trust deed world.

I simply had to lay low until the car was paid off...awful times for me whilst imagining interest adding up.

My car payments have now ended and I am looking to sort my debt out once more.

Simple...? well I have now been advised of an inheritance I never expected of ?20k.

This is great news but shortly followed by a bitter feeling...

If I am honest I am completely split between debt repayment OR fulfill something my parents wanted for me and a dream of mine... buy a house.

Your initial reaction will no doubt be "don't be silly" "you got yourself there" "its your responsability" etc... Mine too.

However...Context : I have no savings, Will not get a lump sum like this any time soon, I am 30, have always wanted a roof over my head, and have a poor credit rating as you can imagine and even if I paid off my debts and started from scratch would not be able to save that much any time soon. I also expect my debts to be at ?15k (worse case scenario) now.

I know I cannot go and get a mortgage but my partner is looking for a mortgage at the minute and this could be part or all of the deposit.

I am inexperienced in the area of debt management, inheritance, mortgages etc..

I am keen to read your thoughts and thankyou for taking the time to read me.

Sara

sara007
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 11 January 2015 :  18:08:50  Show Profile
Another option might be to put the inheritance into an investment option like an ISA, Bonds until I am debt free?
Go to Top of Page

Amy Jellings
Debt Diva Expert

110 Posts

Posted - 12 January 2015 :  13:54:09  Show Profile
Welcome to the forum sara007.

It's entirely up to you how you use this money.

If you choose to put it into property then you'll obviously still have the worry of having to deal with these debts at some point in the future. Interest might continue to build up making it harder to resolve these debts in the future.

Debt solution options such as a protected trust deed or sequestration might effectively become closed to you because of the asset you own (at least without risking your home).

There's also the risk that the creditors concerned find out about the property and that it becomes a target for legal action in the future (perhaps by seeking your bankruptcy/sequestration).

Other types of assets/investments (bonds etc) could also become a creditor target and an impediment to certain debt solutions being attractive to you in the future.

You might find that some of the companies you owe money to will be prepared to settle the debts you owe them for substantially less than the full debt balance. You might want to contact them to find out.

This might even turn into a route to settle your debts and get a start on the property ladder.

Amy Jellings
Bright Oak
Debt Advice & Debt Management
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Debt Divas Answer © 2008 - 2017 Debt Divas Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
(c) Channel Active Limited. Company Number: 06412452. Consumer Credit Licence: 0617772. Data Protection Registration: Z1332750.
Please note that telephone calls may be monitored or recorded.