Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

moneybunny

77 Posts

Posted - 10 January 2009 :  21:58:26  Show Profile
My darling daughter has always been a bit fussy about food but it really is getting past a joke..she is 8 at the end of the month and she wont eat anything that is mixed up (like spag bog, stew, shepherd pie ect) everything has to be dry and seperate. When she was 6 i sneaked some salad cream in her sarnis and she ate the lot..when i told her that salad cream was in it she wont eat anything with salad cream even tho she loved it! I really dont know which tact to take..should i make her eat what everyone else eats and if she doesnt she does without or pander to her needs?? It just bugs me i have to make a full meal every night like meat and veg that she will eat when some days i would love to just make beans on toast or just soup! I am not sure if she has a food prob or if its just normal..i dont want to make an issue out of it cos of the obvious link to girls and food but i just dont know where to go with this and what to do for the best.. She loves green veg, meat..infact she eats quite healthy really but how do i get her to try new food? I am not sure if it is because she went straight from soft food to finger food and missed out the lumpy food stage...she was only 5lb when she was born and i arent sure if i have pandered to her too much. My son will eat anything you put infront of him but this situation needs sorting otherwise it will effect her long term..Please help mums !!!!

thereisanend

222 Posts

Posted - 11 January 2009 :  08:55:15  Show Profile  Click to see thereisanend's MSN Messenger address
I think you're lucky in the fact she eats green veg and meat meals. How many parents wish their children would eat their greens?

I know this isn't the answer for you but I would say as she gets older she'll develop the need for new tastes and textures? My 4 all had their own fussy habits but in the main eat most things now and they're 25, 24, 21 and 15. Now my eating habits are dire and it was only the end of last year that anyone knew of them so we won't go into them, but I'm fairly healthy and have a very limited diet.

I would suggest not to force her to eat anything she isn't comfortable with but to encourage her. As you say she's eating healthy and compared to a lot of children eating McDonalds and the like that in itself is a bonus.

None of the above is much help in terms of what to do but I believe unless it's detrimental to their health it'll work itself out as they mature.
Go to Top of Page

moneybunny

77 Posts

Posted - 11 January 2009 :  11:03:48  Show Profile
Thanks for that it does help to get other peoples opinions on this. I think a lot of her problem is that its the 'thought' of trying something new and she already has it in her mind set that she wont like it. I am getting her to help me make a meat and potato pie today so fingers crossed she tries it. She like all the ingredients that is going to be in it..the big question is will she try it when they are all mixed together! fingers crossed! Anymore suggestions would be great to get her to try new things..when your in a situation like this you think your the only one and it does help if it turns out i am worrying over nothing!
Go to Top of Page

Melanie Giles
Debt Diva Expert

555 Posts

Posted - 11 January 2009 :  13:44:54  Show Profile
My friend has a son, who is now about 16, and since he started eating solid food has only eaten Krackerwheat with Marmite, toast, and yoghurt. And I am not joking - this is absolutely correct.

When he was about seven they took him to see a nutritionalist, as they were very worried about his eating habits, but they were told that what he was eating was providing a balanced diet and that it was better for him to eat what he liked than not eat at all. Convinced that he would grow out of it, they carried on - he hasn't changed, but he is six foot and plays rugby for his school firsts.

I do worry what will happen when he leaves home and has a family of his own, but we will see.

Melanie Giles is a Licensed Insolvency Practitioner with over 23 years experience of helping people to budget more efficiently or resolving their financial difficulties. Melanie is a director of the IVA Advice Bureau, a leading provider of insolvency services with specific experience of voluntary arrangements, debt management and bankruptcy assistance.
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
Average Member

563 Posts

Posted - 11 January 2009 :  14:18:10  Show Profile
I'm still a picky eater and I'm 33. I don't like mixing my food - even if we have a Chinese I have everything seperated on my plate and only have one thing on my fork at a time. The only time I will mix food is if we have an Indian - I'll mix the curry with the rice.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is the present, a gift to make the most of.
Go to Top of Page

moneybunny

77 Posts

Posted - 11 January 2009 :  16:11:22  Show Profile
Lol would she eat the meat and potato pie...nope..she tried a little bit but she was really upset at the thought of having to try it. She says mixed up things dont look nice...oh well i guess i will just have to carry on making different meals wont i...it would be bliss if she had a curry but anything mixed up forget it!!!!!

I know she isnt that fussy, it would just be nice to cook something we all enjoyed and ate together other than a sunday dinner!!!!

Thanks for all the posts anyway..ho hum!
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
Average Member

563 Posts

Posted - 11 January 2009 :  16:42:30  Show Profile
I used to be even worse when I was a kid - I once ate nothing but fish fingers for dinner for a fortnight, and then moved on to beef burgers!

Mind you, I could live off fish fingers now!

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is the present, a gift to make the most of.
Go to Top of Page

thereisanend

222 Posts

Posted - 11 January 2009 :  19:06:01  Show Profile  Click to see thereisanend's MSN Messenger address
Well lets get it out in the open then! My eating habits are not good, I eat NO veg apart from potatoes, NO salad, I eat meat, so a Sunday lunch for me is meat, yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes which I started eating last year, prior to this I ate plain boiled potatoes, still can't eat mash! Never could have gravy! Can't afford to but even if I could I can't buy sandwiches from shops, don't like rice or pasta, well I say don't like to be fair I don't know if I do like it or not! No curries or bolognese dishes for me! There is too much to list what I don't like and have a very limited diet, I'm 47 and fairly healthy albeit a little overweight due to eating too much junk! Eating out is a big no no for me most of the time as it becomes an issue, where this a buffet I can normally find something to eat without people noticing what I've got but a meal I would have real problems with and eating at other peoples houses is a definite no no.

My four children eat almost everything as they were all encouraged to eat everything, never forced. Mind their Dad is a human dustbin!

Edited by - thereisanend on 11 January 2009 19:07:35
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
Average Member

563 Posts

Posted - 11 January 2009 :  20:08:11  Show Profile
I like you Thereisanend!

The only veg I really like is peas, parsnips and potatoes, although I do eat beans, but only if they are covered in gravy and preferably mint sauce. I can't stand salad and I rarely eat fruit, apart from the odd banana and cherries and raspberries when they are in season. I will drink smoothies though.

If I could I'd cover everything in tomato ketchup, but I can't stand tomatoes.

I know I need to lose weight, and eating healthier would be a start, but I don't like much in the way of healthy food!

Go to Top of Page

thereisanend

222 Posts

Posted - 11 January 2009 :  20:27:04  Show Profile  Click to see thereisanend's MSN Messenger address
see I feel better already telling all on here re my eating habits! I often feel I'm the only one! I eat Bananas and apples if I have to but not by choice! I can tolerate grapes but that's pretty much it for fruit!
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
Average Member

563 Posts

Posted - 11 January 2009 :  21:15:43  Show Profile
I actually had a banana today so I'm doing well! I love grapes, but they have to be sweet and seedless, and preferably red!

Go to Top of Page

Vanessa Phillips
Debt Diva Expert

464 Posts

Posted - 11 January 2009 :  21:49:57  Show Profile
Hi Moneybunny, good to hear from you again.

My husband (now estranged!) is a Health Visitor and I know for a fact that he would say the golden rule over picky eaters is not to get them stressed out as this exacerbates the situation all the more. Stay positive, and introduce one new food once a week. It will be a long and drawn out process, but you will get there in the end. Have you tried bribery??? If she tries something new every week for a month, maybe she can have a little treat at the end of the month - doesn't have to be something expensive - you would know what would appeal to her. Try and get her more involved with the preperation of the meal - it may encourage her to taste things as she is going along. If you make it fun and light hearted then she won't feel pressurised into eating something she does not like. Don't make a fuss when she won't eat something, just remove the plate without comment, but praise her when she does try something new, that way she will remember the positives and not the negatives.

At the end of the day, she does eat meat and veg, so I wouldn't worry too much. My nephew lives on chicken nuggets and chips and he is a fit and healthy lumpa of an 8 year old, so ...................

Hope the above helps a bit!

Vanessa Phillips
Mortgage and Lending Consultant
Go to Top of Page

Libragirl
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - 13 January 2009 :  00:08:42  Show Profile
I think that this is one of the real benefits of this forum, in that we have women who are linked together by a common thread - ie we are either in debt ourselves, or we work in the industry. So you could say that there might be a bit of a divide between the professionally experienced ladies and the lifetime experienced (the latter of which I feel provide far better advice!)

But not so - on this forum we have all got a range of issues that sometimes it is just good to have a good old chat, gossip, rant and rage about. I discuss issues on here, that I probably wouldn't even discuss with my best friends - and as my husband called me fat for the first time on Saturday, I think it is time for me to benefit from some of that valuable and mutual girlie support as well.

The more the merrier I say!
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
Average Member

563 Posts

Posted - 13 January 2009 :  09:36:21  Show Profile
Cheek! If Dave called me fat I'd tell him exactly where he could go and what he could do!

Go to Top of Page

Agent Smith
Average Member

782 Posts

Posted - 13 January 2009 :  13:24:18  Show Profile
My hubby used to call me the Pilsbury dough boy! I was only just plump then!

He has called me a weeble as well (remember 'weebles wobble but they don't fall down').

Don't worry - I give back as good as I get!

9 months into an IVA.
Jan
xx
Go to Top of Page

sortingitallout
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 13 January 2009 :  13:50:26  Show Profile
I hope you do!!

My OH asked me this morning if I had secretly had bottom implants as my derrier is looking more shapely!!!

Slimming world class tonight it is then...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Debt Divas Answer © 2008 - 2017 Debt Divas Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
(c) Channel Active Limited. Company Number: 06412452. Consumer Credit Licence: 0617772. Data Protection Registration: Z1332750.
Please note that telephone calls may be monitored or recorded.